Blackberry Travel App Offers All in One Travel ManagementFeb 15th, 2011 | By Roy Rasmussen | Category: Travel
On Monday, Research In Motion (RIM) announced BlackBerry Travel, a new app that provides BlackBerry smartphone users with an all-in-one management for planning, booking, managing, and sharing travels and itineraries.
The new app offers BlackBerry users a variety of travel management features. It lets users:
- Stay updated on flight changes and cancellations, connections, and itineraries
- Automatically acknowledge emailed itineraries and integrate them into the app
- Share travel plans with family, friends, and colleagues by email or LinkedIn
- Prepare with five-day weather forecasts
- Search and book hotels and car rentals
- Get recommendations for items that may have been forgotten or booked incorrectly
- Find places to eat and shop with Yelp
- Get maps
- Access world clocks
- Convert currency
The app requires BlackBerry Internet Bundle browsing capabilities, BlackBerry Device Software Version 5.0 or later, and 4000 KB of available application memory. It is currently in beta release.
The application is believed to be the first travel app branded by a smart phone manufacturer. It puts RIM a step ahead of Apple’s iTravel app, still being updated. For BlackBerry, this represents a welcome boost in its efforts to compete with Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android.
The BlackBerry Travel app is available via download through BlackBerry App World, or via the phone for users in North America, the United Kingdom and Spain. For more information, visit http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/….